This salad is perfect for lunch, dinner or to bring to potlucks. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days. I love the mix of lemon, mint and other herbs. The recipe is inspired by Cookie + Kate’s Lemony Lentil and Chickpea Salad with Radish and Herbs.
Lentils (cook your own, using the ingredients below, or use one 17-ounce package of steamed French lentils instead)
- 1 cup dried black beluga lentils or French green lentils (I used black beluga lentils and soaked them in water for about 6 hours before cooking. I normally don’t soak lentils but the instructions on these lentils said to soak them)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- juice from 1 large lemon (next time I will also add the zest)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- ¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 bunch of radishes, sliced thin and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup packed fresh, leafy herbs, chopped (combination of mint and dill recommended)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- Optional garnishes: sliced avocado, crumbled feta or goat cheese, handful of fresh leafy greens
To cook the lentils: Pick over the lentils to remove any bits of debris. Rinse the lentils under running water in a mesh colander. In a medium pot, combine the lentils, halved garlic cloves, olive oil, sage and vegetable broth. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the lentils are cooked through and tender, which will take somewhere between 20 to 35 minutes. Drain the lentils and discard the garlic cloves. (If you soak black beluga lentils first, drain and rinse and cook for about 20 minutes.)
To make the dressing: Whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl. If you’re using pre-steamed lentils instead of cooking your own, add an extra clove of minced garlic and an extra tablespoon of olive oil.
In a large serving bowl, combine the lentils, chickpeas, chopped radishes, onions and herbs. Drizzle in the dressing and toss to combine. Serve with avocado, crumbled cheese or fresh greens if you’d like.