I am always looking for new lunch ideas that my husband can take to work and doesn’t have to be heated up. I found this recipe on Oh She Glows and it is a keeper. We love pesto in our house and this was a new take on it that ended up tasting really good.
Ingredients for Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (this ended up making 3 sandwiches):
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the sandwich:
- bread (or wraps or Bibb lettuce)
- 2 tablespoons hummus (see my recipe here)
- 2 tablespoons Sun-dried Tomato Hemp Basil Pesto (from above)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1-2 thin tomato slices
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt & pepper
For the pesto: Mince garlic in a food processor. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and process until the pesto is smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
Toast the bread in a toaster if desired.
Spread bread with hummus and pesto (one on each). Layer on the avocado, tomato, and lettuce. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Slice in half and enjoy!
Note: I used Dave’s Killer Bread Sprouted Wheat bread.