Our local food co-op has a lot of peaches and nectarines right now so I got a few for snacking and made some peach pie oatmeal for breakfast today. This recipe is from Lunchboxbunch.com. It tastes like a yummy treat!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a few dashes cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1 cup peaches + nectarines, diced (tossed in 2 Tbsp orange juice + cinnamon)
- 1/4 banana, sliced
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup almond milk or any milk of your choice (add more as desired)
- 1/2-2 TBSP maple syrup or honey (I used about 1/2 TBSP maple syrup)
- 2 TBSP pecans or walnuts, chopped (I used pecans)
Make oatmeal by heating oats, salt, dash of cinnamon and water – use stove top or microwave. Heat until water is absorbed and oats are fluffy and sturdy (I boiled water on the stove, added the oats, salt and cinnamon and heated for about 7 minutes over medium heat).
Dice peaches and nectarines and toss in a dash of cinnamon and the orange juice. Set aside.
Add oats, milk, chia seeds and more cinnamon to serving bowl. Stir gently and add fruit over top. Add more dashes of cinnamon.
Drizzle sweetener over top. Add additional milk and toppings as desired. Serve warm.