I made this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad for dinner tonight. I bought a bunch of quinoa in bulk and we had chickpeas so I searched for a recipe that would include both. I am a big fan of Mediterranean inspired meals so this was perfect. This recipe is from Closet Cooking.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth (I used vegetable broth for more flavor)
- 1 cup tomato, sliced (I used grape tomatoes)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced (this wasn’t in original recipe but we have some left over from another recipe so I added it in)
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 TBL lemon juice (~1 lemon) or red wine vinegar (I used the juice from 1 lemon)
- 3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano (the original recipe called for 1/2 tsp but we couldn’t really taste it a lot so I added more)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring the quinoa and water or vegetable broth to a boil, reduce the temperature to low and simmer, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed, about 18-20 minutes, and let sit covered for 5 minutes before letting it cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Mix the quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, green onion, olives, and chickpeas and toss in the mixture of the lemon juice, oil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Top each serving with feta.
I feel like there was a lot of quinoa in this compared to the other ingredients so next time I might use less quinoa. I also feel like it could use a little more flavor so I might add even more oregano before we eat our leftovers tomorrow.